2nd Grading Period – Post and Respond Here :)

To my dear 3rd period class!

I LOVED your blogs last grading period… You people are so thoughtful. I learned a lot from what you posted. A couple of reminders: when you post – don’t forget a link to an article (or some type of text – it can be auditory or visual as well) that inspired your comments. Also, when you respond to a peer, respond to their ideas (you can agree or disagree) – but don’t critique their presentation. Everyone is doing their best, I firmly believe that!

This grading period, the topic is going to be “identity.” I feel like this really connects to Unbroken, Wes Moore, and most YA books. So, I’m hoping you find you have a lot of texts for jumping off points. Can’t wait to read your thoughts!

sct

59 thoughts on “2nd Grading Period – Post and Respond Here :)

1. E. H. Erikson made his path breaking contributions to psychoanalytic theory and character pathology, and then coined the term identity. Of course this term of identity was slowly molded over the years into a more general idea. Identity according to the Merriam Webster dictionary is, “The distinguishing character or personality of an individual.” The flaw with this definition is that there is no singular character trait a person can have. This is because over a person’s life span they are ever being pushed and pulled like clay. A problem that has occurred is when a person’s goals that define their identity are suddenly halted, for example the first major lockdown for coronavirus. The amount of people having an identity crisis during lockdown was just truly facing a challenge to one’s sense of self. A person’s identity, according to Psychology Today, “encompasses the memories, experiences, relationships, and values that create one’s sense of self. This amalgamation creates a steady sense of who one is over time, even as new facets are developed and incorporated into one’s identity.” During the lockdown the process of identity was stopped and people had to look in on themselves without others’ views and ask, “What kind of person do I want to be?” Slowly people begin finding themselves or they stay in a blank slate and ask a couple more questions because identity is not set in stone, identity is fluid.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/identity
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3751052/

• I really like your analogy “being pushed and pulled like clay.” I think this perfectly encapsulates how identity changes throughout a person’s life, being pushed and pulled in so many different directions because of the plethora of unique factors influencing it. I also agree about lockdown challenging one’s sense of self since people couldn’t go out and accomplish goals that align with their identity and fulfill their potential. I also think that lack of human interaction caused this since our interactions are a crucial part of how we identify.

• I agree that someone’s identity is not as simple as a single personality trait and has many layers that make a person who they are. The analogy that people are like clay fits very well with identity because your identity can change based on past and future life experiences. While the corona virus lockdown could cause some people to lose their identity, it can also strengthen someone’s identity for the better. For example, with the lockdown, there were no distractions, and a person could find their true self without the busyness of their everyday lives. Identity can be molded by life experiences and is not a set in stone personality trait.

2. The teenage years are a crucial time in identity formation. However, social media has made many adolescents insecure about their identity. Social media users are constantly comparing themselves to others, scrolling through heavily filtered images and carefully curated profiles. Teenagers feel pressured to live up to the impossibly high standards displayed on their screens, which leads to a host of problems. Recently, a bombshell Wall Street Journal report revealed research from Facebook about the harmful effects of Instagram on young people, particularly teenage girls. I read a Time magazine article summarizing the findings of the WSJ report, written from the perspective of two Gen Zers.
    According to Facebook’s research, Instagram usage is linked to anxiety, depression, and eating disorders. Some eye-popping data points were that Instagram worsened body image issues for one in three teen girls and was a significant driver of suicidal ideation; 6% of Americans who contemplated killing themselves blamed Instagram. Adding to the impact of the statistics, one of the authors described her own experience with Instagram. She recounted “star[ing] at her screen for hours after uploading one picture, anxious about the reaction she would receive” (par. 6). The app dominated her life and decimated her self-worth; eventually, she was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. Her story shows how social media can push already angsty teenagers over the edge.
    The authors acknowledge that social media occupies an important position in young people’s lives, so it’s probably not feasible to eliminate social media altogether. Instead, they propose “banning targeted ads for kids and teens, safeguards to restrict the collection of user data, and tools to stop endless scrolling” (par. 16). I think there also needs to be more education about the dangers of Instagram and related apps so that prospective users understand what they’re signing up for. For current users, interventions such as limiting time on social media and avoiding certain feeds may be necessary.
    It’s time for everyone to recognize that social media devalues teens’ sense of self. Hopefully, if social media apps are improved and users exercise more self-restraint, teenagers will accept who they are and have the confidence to keep growing.

Link: https://time.com/6100182/instagram-generation-z-mental-health/

• I agree in the point of social media being a major complication in younger people’s view of their own identities. Social media is full of unrealistic ideals that can make a young person extremely confused and insecure. I feel as if TikTok is just as bad, if not worse, for self-image and identity for all people, primarily young girls. I will scroll across a video that is just meant to be lighthearted and fun, but as soon as I open the comment section, it is filled with people criticizing and picking apart everything about a teenage girl from behind their screens. People on social media can heavily affect the way someone views their identity.

• I completely agree that social media has a significant affect on teenagers and their developing brains. Many times, people do not look the same way on social media as they do in real life, especially influencers who fit the “beauty standard” of today’s society. Kylie Jenner and other Kardashians, for example, all have personal trainers, and lots of resources to edit their pictures. They also have the money to pay for cosmetic surgeries, healthier food, nutritionists, and workout equipment, which the average person probably cannot afford all of that. Their beauty standard isn’t real and so many people, teenage girls specifically, don’t realize that. People will go to extremes to try and look like people on the internet, causing anxiety disorders and other mental illnesses, like mentioned in your articles.

• I totally agree that social media is an inaccurate portrayal of someone’s life. I believe that social media needs to be recognized as a “highlight reel” of someone’s life, and not as an accurate representation of someone’s daily life. We as a society need to recognize our own self-worth and not compare ourselves to others.

3. Identity is a complicated concept, but it can be boiled down to the answer of the simple question of “Who are you?” It relates to one’s basic values that determine what choices one makes, and these choices reflect who one identifies as. While many may think most people independently choose their own identities, in reality identities of most people are a product of internalized values of their parents or dominant cultures in their society. Oftentimes, these values do not reflect one’s authentic self, making one’s life unfulfilling. For one’s life to be fulfilling, one must stay true to their values so they can be certain about what they want out of life.
    Identity formation consists of three steps. The first is to discover and develop personal potentials, which is accomplished by trying a variety of activities, and one’s sense of whether they do a certain activity well is determined by feedback from others and one’s own feelings about it. Positive feedback and feelings intrinsically motivates one to do that activity. Choosing one’s purpose in life is the second step, which is achieved when the objectives align with one’s talents and skills. Lastly, there must be opportunities available that accommodate both one’s potential and purpose.
    It is important to stay true to oneself and not act in unnatural ways to be accepted in order to avoid mental exhaustion and self-doubt, self-consciousness, and negative thoughts. This also helps avoid unhealthy behaviors to fit in such as drugs and alcohol.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/science-choice/201412/basics-identity

• I agree that our families and the society shape our identities in a way. Society has one of the biggest affects on our identity. It dictates how one should dress, talk, behave, what is acceptable to do and what is not. All those things help us shape the person we want to be in the future. Knowing that these factors can affect our identities it is crucial to stop and ask ourselves who WE want to be and not what the society wants us to be. I really like how you talked about the three steps of the identity formation. If more people are educated on this topic, we as a society can do much better and create a more positive and accepting space for everyone.

• Our families and society play a huge roll in our identity growing up. I like the statement that these values placed on us by family and society do not reflect our authentic self, because it’s true. We always see people truly form their identities and find themselves when they go to college or move out of their parents house or home town. People change in different environments; for example, growing up in a small, conservative town, you’re only exposed to those views and your opinions and attitudes may change when you move out into the world on your own where there are so many different views and perspectives. The steps you mentioned are so important to finding our true identities and, like you said, avoiding mental exhaustion and negative thoughts.

• My mother wanted me to create my own identity, so she had me try several different activities so I could find my interests. She ended up influencing me in the end because she had things that she wanted me to do. She insisted that I continue my piano lessons and my skiing lessons. I enjoy skiing now, but when I was a tired and cold toddler falling down every two minutes it wasn’t very fun. Piano was hard for me to enjoy. The hours of practice and the long drives when I got carsick made it difficult for me to appreciate it. I wonder if I would have chosen something different without her interference.

• I agree that identity is shaped by the people that you are around and how they treat you. With that in mind, it can sometimes be difficult to form your own identity based on your own values. This is because your early values are usually based on what your parents taught you or the values you discuss with students and teachers at school. Despite this, as people begin to become more independent, they begin to form their own values based on what they believe. I think that the transition to being independent is important as this can shape the type of person you will be for the rest of your life.

4. Identity is a crucial part of someone’s life and impacts the choices that people make in their lives. Usually, part of your identity is formed by a set of values that you feel are important and can vary from person to person. However, it can be difficult to choose your identity due to social pressures such as: materialism, appearance, or who you surround yourself with. With all the factors that affect your identity, it can be difficult to distinguish between how you act around certain people versus how you truly are. While it may not seem like a big deal of who your surround yourself with, it can have an impact on your future.
    How your friends treat you can have an influence on your identity. If your friends treat you poorly and degrade your self-worth, your self-esteem will diminish even if you don’t notice it. If you surround yourself with good friends, your self-esteem can grow. With more self-esteem, you will be more willing to try new things and better yourself as a person.

• I agree that your friends affect your identity. Besides the way your friends treat you, I also think of positive and negative peer pressure. Your friends may encourage you to try an activity you’ve never done before, which could spark a lifelong interest. On the flip side, your friends may be involved in unhealthy (and possibly illegal) activity like alcohol and drugs, which could lead you to do the same. Your friends also introduce you to new perspectives, whether they be related to political, social, or practical matters, which influences your thinking.

5. An article for psychology today (a magazine my Dad loves) says that part of identity can be described in terms of relationships. Our identity is related to our roles in society- daughter, student, teacher and U.S. citizen for example. It also depends on the values we hold. Our values often dictate the choices we will make, which also affects our roles. While we can control our choices and our morals, external characteristics are also part of identity. Things like race, gender, and social class all impact our identities. Much of our identity is discovered during adolescence, when people begin to experiment and discover their interests. This is an important time for us developmentally speaking!
    One aspect of identity that I personally find interesting is how our personal identities are affected by the expectations of our interpersonal relationships. How do society’s expectations of me affect how I view myself? How do the overall values of my culture affect my own values? Would my identity change if I moved somewhere else?
    Link: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/identity

• I like the things that you chose as examples of things that make up your identity: race, gender social class. It seems to be a common misconception that characteristics of your personality make up your identity. However, I believe that your personality does not decide your identity. Instead, I believe your identity comes from things like your background, your relationships, your interests, etc. These are things that define you as a person, and that make you the person that you are aside from personality traits.

• I think this also relates to the discussions we had about the lit reductions- does it matter where you’re born? We were talking about success, but if our cultures affect our identities, (and so do characteristics like race, gender, and social class) it definitely matters. Imagine what your identity would have been if you were born in a third world country. What about if you were born somewhere like Russia where being gay is illegal? It would be interesting to see if people from the same culture have similar core values in their identities. How does Western ideology differ from Eastern ideology?

• I find your statement very intriguing because relationships do tie a very important part of how we see each other and how we see ourselves as individuals. When people seek a relationship or are in a relationship we usually stick close to said person because somewhere they remind us of ourselves and then the process of finding yourself begins. This could be an opinion someone has you disagree with or something you enjoy. but we base our points of view on those decisions.

6. I feel like identity is such a broad topic like people can take that work in so many different directions. However i’m going to be talking about self identity and finding yourself. So to start i’m going to just say i feel like we will never truly find ourselves anytime soon. People who are at a younger age don’t know who they are even people who are slightly older 30 and 40 year old’s can put up a facade that they have everything together however they are just blindly shotting like everyone else. I feel like this journey can be very hard because you may learn things about yourself that you might not like and you cant run from yourself. I know personally that finding yourself is hard like for my whole life I’ve been attracted to boys however now i’m starting to feel more for girls and it feels like I don’t know myself but i cant just deny this signs i have to embrace everything about myself and these feelings are valid and i’m learning and growing. However not knowing yourself can make people high strung and anxious which can make people lash out as some of you can probably relate too. I guess what i’m saying is self identity is a constant battle and it will take a long time before you find yourself but don’t ignore these changing signs embrace them and try to love yourself for everything that you changing is something to be proud of and shared with others.

7. I read an article and it said something that was very interesting to me and when i think about it its true
    “Identity encompasses the memories, experiences, relationships, and values that create one’s sense of self.” When i read this i thought this is simply what identity is we create ourselves based on what has happened to us through out lives. I mean its just so interesting to me because people can make it so much more but when you sit and think about it that’s simply what identity is. the only think that i have questions about is the fact of can people build the same personality if they were to same the same life or could they come with
    new outcome. does identity simply boil down to our experiences or can personality traits play a role as well?

://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/identity

8. Identity is multifaceted; it comprises everything that makes up your self, including your interests, behaviors, values, and beliefs. But what happens when your identity is reduced to one characteristic? Arthur C. Brooks answers this question in his article “A Profession Is Not a Personality.” Brooks investigates the phenomenon of self-objectification, in which people assess their self-worth based on a single quality. He explains, “Just as our entertainment culture encourages us to self-objectify physically, our work culture pushes us to self-objectify professionally” (par. 7). In other words, some people are their work; their professional responsibilities eclipse all other aspects of their life.
    Letting your job define you is a deeply damaging act, as it suppresses other parts of your identity and can cause you to miss out on important experiences. As Brooks puts it, “Love and fun are sacrificed for another day of work, in search of a positive answer to the question, ‘Am I successful yet?’” (par. 8). He lists some warning signs of self-objectifying behavior, including introducing yourself with your job title, forgoing personal relationships in favor of work, and being uneasy with not working.
    Brooks also provides some tips to step back from your job and adopt a healthier mindset. He says that you should take time for leisure and make friends who are not connected to your work and only care about you as a person. I would take his first idea a step further and say that you should find a hobby you enjoy. If you feel lost without work, hobbies can create alternative, tangible goals to pursue.
    To some, the idea of professional self-objectification may seem far-fetched, but it’s easy for ambitious people to fall into that trap. In an achievement-driven society, workers are desperate to climb the corporate ladder, losing sight of the things that really matter. I think there should be more research and media coverage about the harmful effects of associating professional success with self-worth so that more people understand the issue. Both employers and employees need to know that when people expand their identities beyond work, they lead healthier, more fulfilling lives.

Link: https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2021/09/self-objectification-work/620246/

• I definitely agree that it’s way too easy to get so absorbed in one’s job that nothing else matters nearly as much. So much time during the week is spent working that it’s hard to not put a huge piece of your identity into it. I don’t think many realize this, but I believe the so-called “corporate ladder” is just an adult version of the popularity hierarchy from high school. Like you said, workers trying to increase their status “lose sight of the things that really matter” just to be seen as “cooler” or “better” by the workplace population, so they feel a sense of accomplishment. Just like high school, in the workplace no one usually wants to be associated with and has little respect for lower-ranking groups. It baffles me that how toxic the work hierarchy is for self-worth and mental health is not more widely talked about.

9. for my first comment, I knew that I wanted to do something art related. I personally find my identity through art, and I started thinking of one artist in particular: Marija Tiurina. she is a watercolor and color pencil based artist who does abstract expressionistic art. a lot of her pieces deal with humans, their mind, conscious, and identity. one of my favorite pieces of hers is a portrait of a woman, but her head is cut into pieces and laid out like a house. the name of the painting is “The Secret Life Of Thoughts.” in her instagram post about it, she says that it is “a little insight to an interior of my head, where each thought is engaged in an activity of its liking.” you are able to see through her head and see each thought that she has and how they work. no thought is doing the same thing, and each one is busy with their own activity. this plays into the theme of identity because you are built by your thoughts. your identity is profoundly what you think.

• Great response Emma !! That’s awesome to hear that you found your identity through something like art, that you really have a passion for. Passion of an activity or hobby can def help us develop our personality.

• I agree with you comment Emma because how we see art and how we portray ourselves through art can have a subconscious way into the soul. This could be by hiding small inside jokes or hidden messages. Art can truly reflect a person and how they see the world around them because you can sort of release all of your emotions into your art.

10. Identity is one of the most important things in our life. For this blog I would like to talk about identity crisis. Identity crisis is a period or episode of psychological distress, often occurring in adolescence but sometimes in adulthood, when a person seeks a clearer sense of self and an acceptable role in society. Most of us at some point in our lives experience identity crisis. I know I have. When I first moved to the U.S. and was trying to star my life here, I remember trying so hard to “fit in” and become more American but at the same time I didn’t want to lose my Armenian self. The two completely different cultures were fighting in me which ended up with me having identity crisis. I got over it quickly on my own but with a struggle. Some of the things that others can do to help them handle identity crisis are: 1. Breathe yourself present, 2. Observe what plays on repeat, 3. Increase your flexibility, 4. Up your compassion.
    Link: https://emindful.com/2019/04/16/are-you-having-identity-crisis/

• I absolutely love your comment. I think it was a really good choice to add your own experience in it. I dont know if I have personally had an identity crisis, but I can definitely relate to what you mean by wanting to fit in, but also wanting to stay true to yourself. that was something I dealt with a few years ago… I was very focused on having trendy things and being like all the other girls so that I could be liked, but in doing so, I was pushing my true self away. it was only recently that I started not caring and wearing and doing the things I wanted to do. its so interesting to see how much my life has changed, just based on how I present myself. I no longer hide behind the normalcy of others; I now present myself like how I would like to be viewed: an outgoing person with not much of a care for what others think.

• Elen I totally agree with that, identity crisis is what we all go through that helps us develop our individual identity. We begin to find what we are passionate about, we also begin to know more about ourselves. Overall, I feel like an identity crisis can ultimately develop us to become the people we are today.

11. The teenage era is one of the most crucial times in life for figuring out one’s identity. Teens want a sense of self that is confident and stable, so they begin to realize and care about how their identity will affect their life and future. Many teens feel self-conscious about themselves and how others perceive them because of this, so they begin experimenting with different identities until they find one they feel comfortable in. A teen’s identity is influenced by numerous internal and external factors, with notable external factors being family, peers, and school. Psychologist James Marcia theorizes that teen identity develops because of crises in things like values and relationships where they realize they identify differently than influences in their lives. It’s important teens find an identity that fits them because this affects their self-esteem as they get older. Psychologist Erik Erickson thinks an identity crisis, role confusion, and a weak sense of self will occur if a teen fails to establish an adequate identity.
    Many teens are overwhelmed by having to undertake the gargantuan task of finding out who they really are, so they turn to negative strategies to find themselves. They may engage in smoking, drinking, and sexual activity to appear mature in order to be accepted, rebel against their parents, try to be like a famous person they idolize instead of focusing on themselves, and form cliques and exclude others with so-called undesirable characteristics. Teens tend to prioritize what others think of them ahead of doing what’s right for themselves, so it makes sense why many of them would use these strategies.
    A teen’s parents are an important part of forming a positive sense of self. Teens who are close to their parents are less likely to experiment with drugs and risky sexual behaviors, and healthy identity development is likely to occur when parents care and are accepting of their child’s identity. Ways parents can help their child include avoiding comparing their child to others and giving their child compliments and positive reinforcement.

https://aspiroadventure.com/blog/why-is-teen-identity-development-important/

12. I’m sure we’ve all heard the expression “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” Although first impressions don’t tell the whole story, we can tell a lot about someone or something through careful observation. I read an article that talked about how identity was expressed implicitly through various means, including personal possessions and social media.
    The author discusses the research of social psychologist Sam Gosling, who studies the relationship between our belongings and identity. He classifies the things we own into two categories: conscious identity claims and feeling regulators. Conscious identity claims are things that help us present ourselves to others, such as tattoos and the artwork in our home. Feeling regulators are more private—they are items that have sentimental value, like family pictures and favorite books. Gosling also describes how the way we organize our spaces can reveal our personality, specifically the presence or absence of the Big Five traits: openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism. He found that “[p]eople who score high on openness… tend to fill rooms with a greater variety of books and magazines, while those who score high on conscientiousness tend to have clean, well-lit, meticulously organized bedrooms” (par. 7).
    Our Internet presence, especially our social media activity, also reflects who we are. As the author puts it, “Increasingly, Facebook pages are where we keep our stuff, and our profiles have become gigantic identity claims” (par. 20). Besides what we post, our level of involvement can also reveal our character. Gosling did a study on people’s Facebook profiles to see if factors like number of photos and number of friends indicated certain personality traits. The results showed that both extraversion and openness correlated with a high number of friends. While this isn’t exactly surprising, it illustrates how our behavioral tendencies can make a distinct imprint on our digital world.
    The author warns that the research comes with a caveat: some impressions can be misleading. For example, she recalls the time she wore a keychain that displayed the astrological sign Taurus and a companion assumed, quite reasonably, that she was into astrology. In fact, she did not believe in astrology; she wore the keychain to remember her late friend, who had previously owned the keychain. This shows that identity is more complicated than it seems. However, it’s safe to say that identity suffuses every facet of our lives, from the layout of our bedroom to our social media. In other words, you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but you should understand the cover’s significance.

Link: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/01/personal-identity-is-mostly-performance/283043/

13. A strong sense of identity is crucial in the upkeep of a stable life. In “Students: Realize the Importance of Self-Identity”, the author defines identity as “the naturally occurring qualities that make us who we are as individuals”. The author stresses the difficulty in finding your identity, which is a long process. When we begin to lose our sense of identity, “our decision-making ability becomes hindered, and we struggle to maintain healthy relationships”. The author details the reasons he feels that maintaining self-identity is important. Firstly, it strengthens your character, giving you confidence and a grasp on your strengths. Second, it makes you unique and is what sets you apart from everybody else. Next, it allows you to embrace yourself and overcome your insecurities. Lastly, it gives you a sense of purpose and gives you a place in your environment.

14. Culture and Identity are so intertwined that there is even a term for it : cultural identity. The question is how much does our culture influence our identity? This article suggests that the reason for similarities within a culture is because of our intrinsic need to belong. Every teenager has been warned about peer pressure and the dangers of trying to ‘fit in’, but this happens on a larger scale. Each society has unspoken etiquette. Individuals in the society know what is socially acceptable, and when in society they adhere to these rules. One example is manners. We were all taught some variation of the basic etiquette rules for our society. We know to say please and thank you, and to put our napkins in our laps.
    Individuals in a society are shaped by their shared experiences, but they have unique experiences too. Everyone has heard the saying ‘learn from your mistakes’. Well when it comes to identity, this is literal. You learn from your past experiences, and if they have meaning to you they can become part of your identity. This keeps people from the same culture from becoming clones. There can be pressure to mesh with a group, but individual experiences protect personal identities.
    This is a good thing. With identical personal identities, every individual within a society would have the same strengths and weaknesses. This would not be a good thing, evolutionarily speaking. Strong personal identities protect us from a collapsing society.
    https://www.wya.net/op-ed/does-culture-shape-our-identity/

• I think your comment is interesting. Our culture governs how we act, and over time we adopt our culture’s values. Culture also changes over time, and our identities change with it. For example, think of a woman living in the 1950s versus a woman living today. Women in the 50s were expected to be housewives, whereas women today are free to work outside the home. Also, like you said, each person has an identity independent of their culture. This is why stereotypes are so bad, because they reduce a person to their culture while disregarding their individual identity. It’s a good thing we have different identities because our weakness may be someone’s else’s strength, and vice versa, which makes it easier to accomplish things. Also, having a variety of opinions and ideas helps drive political, social, and economic growth.

• I think your comment on the importance of having differing identities was a great point. It is very true that one’s weakness is another’s strength. If everyone had the same identity, therefore the same interests and hobbies, so much of what is in the world would be left out. If everyone disliked writing like some do, all of the great books that have been written would not have been. The existence of differing identities shapes the world and offers more.

15. I’m sure we’ve all heard of the term “midlife crisis.” It is a time of transition and challenge for those in or approaching middle age, with different studies citing different ages for when exactly this happens, one saying the average age is 47 while another says it begins before midlife and ends in the middle forties. It can last anywhere between a few weeks to many years. Not everyone experiences a midlife crisis, but they may experience a different transition that causes them to have an identity crisis. There is no universally agreed upon definition of a midlife crisis, but one I think is at least somewhat accurate suggests that it offers “the opportunity to evaluate past goals and achievements before moving on to the next stage of life.”
    A midlife crisis manifests simply because of the inevitable truth that one is getting older, which brings many changes. Relationship status, body, and career responsibility changes as well as realizing one’s own mortality as one’s close loved ones get older and pass away all come with one’s aging. In addition, society’s negative opinions of aging as well as retirement financial challenges may contribute to one forming a midlife crisis. Symptoms characteristic of a midlife crisis are “anxiety, stress, or frustration related to age, aging, or mortality.” Some symptoms are similar to those of an adjustment disorder, which is when one experiences immense stress due to a major life event. One may experience relationship and career dissatisfaction, obsession with appearance, and emotional distress. The uncomfortable feelings brought forth by a midlife crisis may cause one to engage in risky or unusual behavior, such as having an affair, buying a new car, and using drugs and alcohol to relive the exhilaration of youth. It is completely normal to not be ready to let go of an identity one has held for a large portion of life, but everyone eventually realizes the ugly truth of aging and begins to accept a new identity that comes with that.

https://www.goodtherapy.org/learn-about-therapy/issues/midlife-crisis

16. I was struggling to figure out what to write with this comment, but then I remembered one of my favorite books: Holding Up The Universe. in this story, one of the two main characters has to deal with prosopagnosia. prosopagnosia, also known as facial blindness, is a disease where the affected person cannot recognize faces. the website NHS says that this not only erases the faces of strangers, but family, friends, and their own identities as well. I think this relates to identity because the person with this illness cannot recognize their own or other’s identities. if you were to turn to someone with facial blindness, turn around, and then turn back to face them, you would be unrecognizable. the website says that many people with this disease often have social anxiety and depression. one in fifty people have facial blindness, and actor Brad Pitt says that he suffers from it.
    when I read the book, I got really interested in it. I always thought it would be extremely frustrating to have this illness. I pride myself on the way I look, and I thought it would be hard to not know what I looked like. in the book, the main character said that it was hard not being able to pick his own mother out of a crowd.
    so far, there is no cure yet, and it is known to be genetic. all in all, I think it is very interesting, and I encourage you to read up on it on your own 🙂

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/face-blindness/

• I’ve never heard of prosopagnosia before. This was one of the most interesting blog posts I’ve read! That’s just so insane I cannot imagine how one feels when they can’t pick their own mother out of a crowd. I can clearly see how this can mess with someone’s identity since they can’t even remember how they personally look. I will definitely do some more research on this topic especially the medical part of it.

• This was so interesting. I cannot imagine what it would be like to look in a mirror and not recognize yourself. I think when people talk about identity they talk a lot about the way people feel or the way that they fit into society but never the way they look, which is also a large part of our identity. I feel like it would be so hard to feel like myself or feel like I was my own person if every time i looked at myself I didn’t recognize me. It is not surprising that often times people with prosopagnosia have social anxiety and depression. This would impact the way that people view them and especially the way they view themselves. I also imagine it would be very hard to form meaningful bonds, if you cant recognize your closest friends.

17. I didn’t know what I wanted to write about for this blog post but couple days ago I was thinking about how culture is so different for every nation and it made me wonder if our culture shapes our identity. Who am I? Am I the person who I think I am or who others believe I am? Does the group I am in affect my behavior and the things I believe in or do I choose what I believe in on my own? All these questions show that yes, culture does have a major role in shaping our identities. Cultural identity is more about what we are thought to believe in and how to act from a very young age. In a way it is something that we don’t have a control over. We can’t control the country and the family we are born in. But what I also do believe is that experiences have a huge role in shaping our identity as well. I think these two things are very closely related. Our identities are shaped by the people surrounding us, by the issues we deal with throughout our life. The shows we grew up watching, the morals established in our family, the right or wrong thought in school. I think that all these things have just as much power over shaping our identity as culture does.
    Link: https://www.wya.net/op-ed/does-culture-shape-our-identity/

• Elen i totally agree that the people we hang out with effect our personality and morals to! I find it so interesting to! I feel as though the more i hang out with certain people the more i become like them.

18. Family impacts someone’s identity because you spend most of your childhood building relationships with your family. Since childhood is one of the most impressionable times in someone’s life, the family you grow up with/in is very important in how you see the world. If someone’s parents believe in them, their child will be more likely to succeed in achieving their goals. In addition, parents have experienced life and are able to pass on guidance to their children to help them navigate the different paths of life they will encounter in their future.
    One way that youth learn about the paths their parents took in life is through family stories. Familysearch.org mentions how family stories can influence identity when they state, “Stories of perseverance and resilience…foster faith in ourselves” (Coleman, 7). This explores how knowing the history of your family can better help you shape your own identity.
    https://www.familysearch.org/en/blog/how-family-stories-shape-our-identities

• I had never really thought about how our family could impact our identity but this was really interesting! The way that we grow up has such an impact on the way that we act and the way we perceive others and ourselves. Not only could our family impact the way that we act but it can also have a very a large impact on our political and religious identities as well. People often say that we are a product of our environment and this fits directly into that. But in the same way that I think this is a good thing I also think it can be a bad thing. Sometimes it can be hard to distinguish between what you actually believe and what you have been taught by your family.

19. For my first post I want to talk about my own identity. My own identity has derived from one of my biggest passions in life, becoming the best version of myself. I have begun to build my personality from being a hard worker. Specifically weightlifting has helped evolve my identity. Through the gym, I have met and connected with new people, and I have found my passion.

• Logan it is great that you have found a way to establish your personality through hard work! Personally i like to establish my personality through being a leader on the swim team to the underclassmen. I try to make them feel welcome and part of the team.

20. Identity is one of the main things that we begin to establish in our teenage years. As we age, we have more experiences that shape our identity. I view identity as something that is developed throughout our childhood experiences. Identity is an important aspect of our life, our identity is what individualizes us. Our identity is how others see you and how you see yourself. We try extremely hard to develop our identity because it is seen as a necessity in order to stand out from others.

21. The social identity theory is a theory in which people fit into certain groups that make up who they are and determine their self esteem. The article provides examples like being on a football team, your family, or even your social class and race. We put other people into certain social groups, sometimes subconsciously, which then determines how they are treated, how the world views them, and how they view themselves. Basically, people stereotype others, which the article calls “in-group and out-group”. The “in-group” would be considered “us” while the “out-group” is considered “them”. The hypothesis of the social identity theory is that we (in-group) will search out negative things about other people (out-group) to enhance our own self image. This can apply to racism and other prejudice and discrimination. The article explains the stages of the theory, the first being categorization. We identify things and people by putting them into categories to understand the social environment. The categories, like student, Christian, American, Muslim, are useful to understand others. The categories are part of our identity and it will help people to know us and understand our background and who we are. We even do this with ourselves by putting ourselves into certain categories to figure out who we truly are and what we believe in, etc. The second stage is social identification, which is where we adopt the identity of the group or groups we fit into. We “conform to the norms of the group”, as said by the article. We identify with this group and act in the way we assume this group acts. If you belong to a certain religion, you follow that religion and act the way the religion wants you to. If you are a student, you behave as a student would like doing homework. The last stage is social comparison. This is when we start comparing our “group” to other “groups”. Finding what’s better about our group or thinking about why it is “superior” to other groups helps maintain a good self esteem. This creates competition and hostility. Discrimination and prejudice could also occur in this stage. The social identity theory concludes that these groups (our in-group) is part of our identity and causes us to judge the identities of out-groups.

22. this last blog post has been on my mind for a while, and while I was working and listening to music, a song from my favorite movie started playing. to be more specific, “Mr. Fox In The Fields,” from the stop motion picture, Fantastic Mr. Fox, was the song that played. it got me thinking about the movie and how it could relate to the theme of identity. I found it pleasing that the movie practically fell into my lap at this perfect moment. the whole premise of the movie is about the main character, Mr. Fox, finding his identity, and realizing his flaws and strong suits throughout a crazy adventure of bird-stealing.
    on the surface, Mr. Fox is seen as the hero of his story, as any main character should be. in a sticky situation that affected his whole community, he is the hero that would save the day, and defeat the antagonistic farmers that tried ruining his life. the only problem is, he was the one that caused all the problems. he is not only the hero of his story, but the villain as well. he was the one that caused the problems that drove the whole plot of the movie. in one scene, he is talking to his wife at the climax of the movie, and they say:
    Mr. Fox: “i think at at the end of the day, im just…”
    Mrs. Fox: “I know. we’re wild animals”
    in the scene that I am talking about, he also describes what he sees himself as. he knows that what he did was wrong, but he also had the self discovery to know that he enjoyed it. his identity, as he explained, was about attention. if he wasnt looked at as this “fantastic Mr. Fox,” he didnt feel accomplished.
    all in all, this is my most favorite movie in the entire world, and rewatching it now with the knowledge i have, i realize that there are a lot of deep and meaningful messages that i think everyone can learn.I think this movie is the perfect idealization of the theme and idea of identity.

if you would just like to watch the one scene I was talking about, here is the link to the youtube video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXNx5U-QnZw
    if you would like to watch the movie for free, (on a cracked website lol. theres a few beginning ads but you just need to close them, and then you are good to start watching) use this link:
    https://soap2day.to/MczozMToiMjg0MHx8NzEuNzQuMTE0LjEyMXx8MTYzNjA3NjIxNCI7.html

23. The article I found discusses how social identity can affect leadership ability. Social identity is defined by things like our race, ethnicity, religion, gender, political affiliation, profession, and our socioeconomic status, or how we see ourselves. Our identity affects everything in our lives, like how we interact with others, how we see the world, and the choices we make. The article explains four things to do to understand how our social identity can help inform our equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts. The first thing to know is that there is no certain way an identity should be, because everyone’s identity is different. The more experience we have in life, the more our identity will change and evolve. The next thing to remember is that everyone fits into multiple social identities and the combinations matter. Everyone experiences like differently based on their combination of identities. Someone who is white, rich, and straight will experience life much differently than someone who is white, poor, and gay. Our social identities are shaped by society; society determines what a social identity is and what isn’t. For example, eye color would not be considered a social identity, but skin color is. The norms and social identity is different in other cultures and also changes over time. The last thing to know is that some parts of our social identity may be more prominent at certain times. For example, in Just Mercy, when Bryan Stevenson got stopped by police and his vehicle was illegally searched, it did not matter that his profession involved law and order because his skin color was the only thing that mattered to those cops. Almost no other part of his identity mattered in that moment because they only saw a black man near apartments that had been recently robbed. The example the article uses is being American in America vs. being American in China. People will pay more attention to your nationality in China than America if you are American. How does all this connect to leadership? Pay attention to how social identity is represented in your work space/organization. There should be diversity in the people who are making decisions, and if there is not enough representation, what can you do to increase representation among those certain social identities? Organize ways so that multiple people from different social identities can interact and communicate. Equity is important when we are talking about diversity and minorities. People should get all the resources they need in order to have the opportunity to succeed. Think about how your decisions and policies (most likely in a work setting) will impact different social identities like people of color, single mothers, or people who are disabled. These are steps and advice to follow in a work setting to be a good leader for all social identities.
    https://www.ccl.org/articles/leading-effectively-articles/understand-social-identity-to-lead-in-a-changing-world/

24. https://www.theprospectordaily.com/2021/11/05/the-pandemic-a-mirror-of-identity/
    This article was really powerful for me. I think identity is something that should never be judged by anyone, because who are we to say who someone else is? Identity can be a very fragile thing. Not to say that this is a bad thing, but I think that for people, especially those who are still unsure of their identity, it can be a hard subject. Today’s society is so judgemental, and it can be hard to express who you truly feel you are, for fear of others judging you. The author of this article talks about how during quarantine they were able to start expressing themselves the way that they felt most comfortable. But it was only during quarantine when they were isolated from others that they felt okay doing this.
    The author uses the example of painting their nails. This is generally seen as feminine, but who is to say that it has to be. Also, I completely think that as we grow up and change our identity changes as well. We grow and we learn things about ourselves and we should not be judged for doing so. I also think that as the times change and society’s view of gender changes and becomes deconstructed, people feel much more comfortable breaking gender norms and being themselves, like masculine females and feminine men. What makes someone or something masculine? Is it being sensitive or macho or expressing your emotion? In my opinion those things are just traits that shouldn’t be assigned to a certain gender. I think quarantine helped a lot of people discover who they truly are and become comfortable in their identity again.

25. https://www.ted.com/talks/tracy_edwards_stop_being_a_bystander_in_your_own_life/transcript#t-51025
    “Stop being a bystander in your own life” I think this quote is so so so amazing because how often do we truly feel like bystanders? Like we are just going through the motions not really thinking about who we are. Tracy Edwards talks about how when you are on a boat with so many people in such a small place you have to be you. There is no room to be someone else. I think this really stands true for the whole world. There are so many people in the world and we are here for such a short time, why would you want to waste any of that time being someone you’re not? I think being true to yourself is the most important thing you can do. It is so easy to get caught up in the monotony of life, and not really think about what you are doing or who you are being serves you.
    I think we spend too much time trying to appease others, or fit into these boxes that society has placed us in. Edwards talks about how you don’t have to live your life a certain way to be you or to be happy. No one should be unhappy because they are not being who they want to be. Who are we without our identity? And what makes our identity? It could be race, family, the way we spend our time, but it should always be authentic and you, not who everyone tells you you should be.

26. https://ideas.ted.com/finding-our-way-to-true-belonging/
    Brene Brown describes belonging as wanting to be something larger than yourself. But I think in order to be a part of something larger than yourself you have to know who you are first. She also talks a lot about the urge to fit in, and changing yourself or believing in things simply to fit in, though you may not fully believe or want these things. I think this has a lot to do with identity. A lot of our society is based on the need to fit in, and know who you are, but I think the struggle to be your authentic self is often overlooked. It is never as simple as your gender or your race, though those bring up two more very important topics when talking about identity. You cannot simply belong to one group and be content. We are very complex individuals with complex ideas.
    A favorite saying of mine is “be comfortable being uncomfortable”. I think this applies here as well. It can be hard to figure out who you are. Brown talks about having to be willing to stand alone, to be uncertain and vulnerable. This doesn’t mean to other people but simply to ourselves. If we are not vulnerable with ourselves we cannot be vulnerable with others or expect them to be vulnerable with us. We need to live with our hearts and not with the stereotypes we feel we need to fulfill, because how can we be truly happy if we are not being true to ourselves?

27. I have recently gotten very been into the show, How To Get Away With Murder. It is a crime-based show with many of cliffhangers and ups and downs. I have become CONVINCED that one of the main characters is living in someone else’s life. I believe he is committing identity theft. This started me thinking about personalities and how people’s personalities can fluctuate based upon the people they hang out with. It seems to me that a person transforms or adopts the personality or characteristics of the person with whom they excessively associate. It’s almost like they are stealing that person’s personality! Although this may seem to be an extreme theory, I think it is relatively normal to adapt to another’s personality. Have you ever heard the phrase, “Show me who your friends are, and I’ll tell you who you are?” Well, that is essentially what I am describing above. Sometimes people go a little extreme with the whole adapting the personality of their friends. It often begins innocently enough with things like buying the same sweater or lipgloss then moving on to purchasing the same backpack. But then it begins to become creepy, even sinister, as if they no longer have their own identity. This typically means that this person that is assuming another’s identity is simply too self-conscious with their own identity and incapable of being themself or functioning without stealing the identity of another.
    https://www.coolnsmart.com/quote-show-me-your-friends-and-i-would-26629/

28. What is an identity crisis? An identity crisis is a developmental event that involves a person questioning their own sense of self or place in the world. You may start questioning, “Who am I” or, “What are my values and purpose on this earth?”
    According to my research, identity crises are very normal and “…can happen to anyone, at any age, at any point in one’s life.” Oftentimes they are the result of major life stresses such as marriage, moving, losing a loved one, or experiencing a traumatic event. When experiencing an identity crisis people can start to question their purpose in life. They wonder if the career they sought, however long ago, is truly fulfilling and making them happy. In a quest for meaning or fulfillment, they may behave irrationally, seeking to leave behind their current self or transform their current circumstances. An example of this would be purchasing a motorcycle to go fill a perceived void in their life. It is my belief that this is a sign of a person being dissatisfied with their life. This isn’t necessarily wrong. It’s ok to be satisfied with doing the same thing day after day. In fact, I think that is healthy. I also believe that it is ok to be dissatisfied or bored with the routine of life. If the latter describes you, go out and find what drives you!

29. Sunsets, Mtndew, sunshine, smiles, and driving. I asked all my friends what they identified me with. I asked them, “When you think of Zoe, what’s the first thing that comes to mind?” These are all things that they said. Know, is that my Identity? Is that all I am? Or am I more than that? I think that all of these might be true, but I’m not just a bottle of mtn dew. I’m more than that. I’m an advocate for myself and others. I am a hard worker, a leader, an employee (and you would do it for a check too), a daughter, friend, and sister. That is my identity in my opinion

30. Since this 6weeks’ topic was identity that’s what we’ve all been discussing. But what is identity anyway? Some might say it’s the way you dress, and the others might say your identity is defined by what shows you watch or who you hang out with. Our identities are defined by the many relationships we have, such as our friendships, romantic relationships, coworkerships, etc. Other things like our religion, our race, height, weight, our political opinion, all these little things help as be who we are. But sometimes it is hard for some individuals to express their true identity since they are afraid of what negative things the society will say about them. Some people have been so afraid to pursue their true identity that over the years they lost part of their identity and with that a part of themselves. All of us need to look deeper inside ourselves and pursue our emotions and beliefs without being afraid of what others will think or assume.

31. There are two types of identities: social and self identity. Social identity is when you believe someone else’s opinion of you; their perspective of you becomes your perspective. Self identity is how we see ourselves regardless of other’s opinions. If someone lacks self identity, negative remarks and negative perspectives will affect us more. Why is self identity important? Our identity forms our whole personality and our individuality. So many benefits arise from having more self identity than social identity including confidence, the ability to understand and balance your emotions, and being in control of your actions. By balancing your emotions, negative comments may not affect you as much. Having control over your decisions would mean others would not influence decisions you should be making yourself. Relying on social identity instead of self identity can have several disadvantages. A lack of confidence can result from this which leads to inefficiency in your own capabilities. The opposite could also happen: becoming self absorbed or egotistical. An overestimation of opinions from others could cause this and get to one’s head, leading to a belief that there is no need for any improvement in your character. Another consequence could be seeking validation from others and altering your decisions to please other people. You will never be able to put yourself first when needed. You should be able to make your own choices, and not have outside pressure from society. The article points out, “When you live life through Social Identity you constantly use the phrase “I had to” instead of “I wanted to”’. To meet your own needs, self identity is very important.
    https://medium.com/@jpalandurkar2001/importance-of-self-identity-and-its-benefits-1633763926c3

32. Based on the events in my life over the past couple weeks I have been thinking a lot about how much the people in our lives can affect our identities. Parents, friends, boyfriends/girlfriends, etc. can heavily affect one’s identity. It has become clear to me that once you remove a person who was close to you from your life, you can realize how much they influenced your thoughts and actions, weather it be positively or negatively. Aside from this, people in your life change your identity in the eyes of others. Then people that you are associated with help create your image in their minds.